Hen of the Woods Meets Mr. Turkey....Soup
From Tammy Spillis.
- 1 lb Turkey Sausage
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1½ cups fresh Maitake mushrooms finely chopped or ¾ cup dried Maitake, crumbled
- 2 cups raw butternut squash, diced to 1-inch or smaller cubes
- 3 qts water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried marjoram
- ½ tbsp dried sweet basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- sage can be added to accent the sausage
Cook turkey sausage and break it into small pieces, set aside. Sauté all herbs in olive oil add celery and onion, sauté til clear, mix in with sausage. Barely cover Maitake and squash with water in sauté pan with lid, steam til tender. Put everything in a big pot, add 3 qts water and heat it up. Salt to taste. It is the best.
Have a favorite mushroom recipe? Share it here!