- Approximately 1 dozen corn tortillas (how many you need depends on how thick you stuff them)
- ⅔ lb of any organic ground meat (beef, turkey or 2 cups of nuts such as walnuts soaked in water overnight and drained, then ground in Cuisinart or blender to a “ground meat” consistency)
- ⅔ cup mushrooms (Shiitake and Maitake have been used so far with great success!)
- ½ cup onion, white or yellow
- 2 tbsp of cumin powder
- 1 medium or large sized can of enchilada sauce
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1–3 tbsp of red chili powder (season to your taste)
Stir fry mushrooms, garlic and onion for 10 minutes in enough canola or coconut oil to cover skillet. Then add meat or nut meats....cook everything together for a few more minutes. Add all your spices to taste, then simmer for 15 minutes.
In a separate pan, individually fry each corn tortilla until very soft and pliable, then remove with tongs and place on a flat surface. Fill with meat/mushroom mixture. Roll up and arrange in pan carefully with the seam-side down. When pan is full, pour 1 can of enchilada sauce over the entire contents and top off with chopped onion and/or cheese as desired. Cook for 15–20 minutes at 350 °F.
Have a favorite mushroom recipe? Share it here!