- No more than 4 units of any given item per purchase
- Maximum of 12 total units per purchase
This book is a manual for the mycological rescue of the planet. Setting the stage for the mycorestoration revolution, Mycelium Running unveils new methods for growing mushrooms, generating mycelium, and implanting mushroom colonies into the environment. Capitalizing on the digestive power of mycelium, this pioneering book shows how to strengthen sustainability of habitats while providing a multitude of biological benefits. Based upon the premise that habitats and humans (animals) have immune systems, and that mushrooms are the beneficial bridges for both, Mycelium Running marks the dawn of a new era: the use of mycelial membranes for ecological health. Linking mushroom cultivation, permaculture, ecoforestry, bioremediation and soil enhancement, Stamets makes the case that mushroom farms can be reinvented as healing arts centers, steering ecological evolution for the benefit of humans living in harmony with its inhabitants. Four components of mycorestoration are described in detail:
- Mycofiltration: the filtration of biological and chemical pathogens as well as controlling erosion
- Mycoforestry and mycogardening: the use of mycelium for companion cultivation for the benefit and protection of plants.
- Mycoremediation: the use of mycelium for decomposing toxic wastes and pollutants.
- Mycopesticides: the use of mycelium for attracting and controlling insect populations.
The newly updated version contains more pages, more full-color photos, and new information on a wide variety of mycological topics, including:
- Prototaxites, a giant fungus dotting the landscapes of Earth and was the tallest organism on land 420 million years ago
- The role of oxalic acid and calcium oxalates in sequestering carbon dioxide and building the carbon bank
- Psathyrella aquatica nom. prov., the first underwater mushroom
- Gamma radiation fueling the metabolism of fungi analogous to light energizing plants
- New information on antimicrobial properties of mushrooms
Moreover, Mycelium Running has chapters on nutrition, medicinal properties, log and stump culture, natural culture, using easy to use and low-tech techniques, and much more. In total, 28 species are fully described. Heavily referenced and beautifully illustrated, this book is destined to be a classic reference for generations to come. Softcover, 343 pages, with over 360 color photographs.
Mix & Match any of Paul Stamets' books for a discount!
★ Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms ★ The Mushroom Cultivator ★ Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World ★ Mycelium Running ★ From Bears & Trees to Mushrooms & Bees ★
2 books: 10% off ★ 3 books: 15% off ★ 4 or more books: 20% off
(Limited Edition books excluded. Discount does not apply to shipping.)